[UPDATE] Trump says no Iran talks are planned as Hormuz traffic falls
Iran says the strait will stay shut until Washington meets its conditions, while confirmed crossings dropped again.
President Trump said Aug. 18 that the U.S. had no talks planned with Iran. Tehran says the Strait of Hormuz will not reopen until Washington meets its conditions, even as Trump insists the waterway is operating.
ContextConfirmed crossings fell from 118 to 95 last week, including only three on Sunday, according to Kpler data cited by the AP. That compares with more than 700 crossings in a typical week before the crisis, [the AP reported earlier this month](https://apnews.com/article/0220ceb7904e16c30869c8fe4cf2a3db). All of last week's confirmed crossings used the Iranian-designated route; none used the Omani routes. An unidentified projectile also damaged a ship's engine room near Oman and caused a crew casualty, British maritime monitors said.
ASSOCIATED PRESS10 sources
